Running in Hinckley and Bosworth
Running is an exercise that can be enjoyed by most people, popular with those who want to maintain an active lifestyle.
Running has a range of physical, mental and social benefits which include:
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Promotes strong bones and strengthens muscles
- It helps you to feel energised and improves mood
- Improves Cardiovascualr fitness
- Its free!
There are a number of running and jogging groups in Hinckley and Bosworth. These groups are for beginners looking to start running, individuals wanting to increase their fitness levels, or people aiming to join their local running club.
Most new runners start out using a run/walk technique because they don't have the endurance or fitness to run for extended periods of time. There's no need to worry about what level you are at, as you can work at your own intensity.
SO WHY NOT TRY RUNNING TODAY
Running and jogging for beginners
General tips for beginners:
- If you are over 40, overweight and/or have any chronic illnesses, it is best to see your doctor before you start a running program
- Start by brisk walking and aim for at least 30 minutes per session. Gradually, over 6 weeks, build up to regular running.
- Make sure you warm up and stretch throroughly before heading out and cool down with light stretches on your return
- Make sure you have plenty of fluids and take a water bottle with you on your run
- Allow a minimum of two complete rest days per week to avoid overtraining.
- Try other low impact activities, such as swimming and cycling, at least once a week to reduce impact on your bones, muscles and joints
- Plan your route - try the Run England 3-2-1 free running route based in Hollycroft Park and Gorve Road Park, Burbage
- Buy an appropriate pair of running trainers
- Wear appropriate clothes for the weather conditions - including high visability clothing when running in the dark
- Plan your route - avoid running on roads and unlit areas at night
- Go for regular runs with friends to catch up
- Sign up to a local run event such as a 5k or tough mudder and plan your run programme around this event - why not get friends and family involved too
- Go on a lunchtime run with a colleague
- Jog to work
- Join a local running group
Through the Active Hinckley & Bosworth Team we are keen for people to explore more about the running/jogging opportunities available in the borough. Regular running and jogging sessions are supported by active and qualified run leaders who create a safe and friendly environment for people to meet regularly:
- Barlestone: starts from St Giles Football Club, Mondays from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m, contact Tony at Barlestonerunningclub@gmail.com
- Barwell: starts from George Ward Centre, Tuesday from 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m, contact Denise on 07914 889669.
- Desford: starts from Sport in Desford, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6.45 p.m. to 7.45 p.m., contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hinckley: starts from Richmond Park, Mondays from 9.15 a.m. to 10 a.m, contact Denise on 07914 889669.
- Hinckley: starts from Hinckley Leisure Centre, Wednesdays from 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m, contact Leanne on 07915 386156.
- Market Bosworth - Visit the "Market Bosworth 1485 Runners" website for details.
All adult running sessions cost £2.00 per session.
Most of these courses are road routes and will only take place off road if the roads are too icy for safety.