Hinckley and Bosworth Local Sport & Health Alliance Sports Awards 2019
The Hinckley and Bosworth Sports and Health Alliance Awards celebrated the best in local sporting achievement at their recent sports awards, held at Hinckley Rugby Club. The special guests at this year's awards evening was
- Michael Kapur Esq OBE, Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Leicestershire
- The Mayor of Hinckley and Bosworth; Councillor Mrs Linda Hodgkinson
The Lord Lieutenant spoke about this role and the history of the office while congratulating every one.
The award winners were:
- Adult Sports person of the year – Mike Twelves – National record holder in both individual and team pursuit races at the World.
- Junior Sports person of the year – Megan Havers – Number 1 in Archery GB national rankings for her age group. Retained numerous titles with breaking 4 national records this season alongside competing for Archery GB in key events.
- Junior disabled sports person of the year – Ben Scott – The current European, British, English, Welsh and Midlands Champion for U14 heavyweight in Taekwondo. Since starting Taekwondo Ben has become sociable and developed his independence as he know helps train younger children on his own.
- Club of the Year – Hinckley Breeze – Started in January 2019 and has grown from 2 to 143 members currently with woman being aged 16 to 82 taking part. So far in 2019 they have run 80 Breeze rides, covering 1727 miles with 267 riders taking part.
- Team of the Year – FC Burbage Thundercats have gone from strength to strength this year; they have won numerous tournaments in the 2019 year including winning a national tournament at ESF Skegness, as a result of beating 27 teams they was invited to play a grand finale at St Georges Park. Their respect for each other, coaches, parents and the teams they play gets them praise for their sportsmanship.
- Adult Volunteer of the Year – The Adult Volunteer of the Year was awarded to Matthew Chilvers, Caroline Foreman and Dawn Haagensen as the judging panel thought they was all excellent in their own volunteering fields. Matthew, supports delivery of Tennis at Desford and in the summer delivered coaching in a special school in Hinckley. Caroline is a member of Hinckley Breeze who works tirelessly to get women involved and enjoying cycling, alongside this she organising different breeze and cycling rides amongst hosting events for charities. Dawn has launched park rugby at Hinckley Rugby Club which has now been initiated at 2 different locations in the Borough, alongside this Daw supports the delivery of walking Rugby on a voluntarily basis.
- Junior Volunteer of the Year – Sarah White & Mytchel Briars – Sarah loves swimming so began volunteering at a Special needs swimming group, she coaches groups of swimmers with learning difficulties, individual sessions with visually impaired swimmers as well as sessions with swimmers with physical difficulties. Mytchel Briars has volunteered at Hinckley Town Tennis Club for the last 3 years, and this year completed a Tennis Leaders course in which he volunteered for 45 hours as oppose to the 10 required. Alongside this he assisted umpiring of the club championships for the younger groups.
- Coach of the Year – Martin Lynch – Martin was appointed Head Coach of Hinckley Swimming Club. Martin is poolside almost every day and most weekends to support his team of coaches and their swimmers. This year the club have had more swimmers than ever qualifying for the county and regional Championships and won many Interclub Galas. This year Hinckley Hornets won every round of the Diddy League and then won the League final for the first time in their history.
- Lifetime Achievement – John has been a part of Hinckley Town Tennis Club since 1987, and since his time at the club has undertook numerous roles throughout his time such as Chairman and Clubman Secretary. Peter also voluntarily coaches 4 times a week for inclusive tennis mornings and organises and runs free tennis sessions for special need children in the summer.
- Active Lifestyle Award - Peter Grundy – After recently having a triple heart bypass, Peter was referred to Sport in Desford to improve Physical Activity levels. As Peter takes Insulin for his type 2 diabetes, he only attended once a week to begin with however once Peter familiarised himself with the surroundings he now attends multiple times a week and has seen improvements in his overall wellbeing and health.
- Unsung Hero Award – Tony Jones – Tony has been a member of Cedars Judo club for the last 40 years and is now a senior coach at the club. Tony has been competed at Judo for his country and now spends his time coaching at the grass roots level. When the original facility closed, Tony took it upon his same to source a new venue, he also hosts various events and tournaments at the Judo club and has now grown the club to be one of the largest in the East Midlands.
- Active Business Award –MYS2DIO – Open to all levels of dancers from very beginners to the more experienced dancers. Lynn provides a safe, friendly environment for the learners to enjoy dancing and encourages everyone to get involved. Lynn's MYS2DIO has improved the mental and physical wellbeing of its attendee's through the positive environment.
- School of the Year – Sketchley Hill Primary School – At Sketchley Hill Primary School every member of staff in KS2 is now involved in Sports Coaching, as a result of this they have had an increase in pupils involved up to 62% who take part in Extra – Curricular sport. They have also introduced 'Virtual PE' & 'Sports Stars' initiatives which has helped increased those involved in physical activity.
Graeme Chilvers , Health and Recreation Manager said: "It was a pleasure to recognise the amazing talent we have across our Borough. Yet again, judges have had the most difficult task picking winners in each category. The sheer number of worthy nominees is inspirational and they all deserve our warmest congratulations and appreciation."
Health and Recreation manager
Hinckley and Bosworth BC
- Cultural Services
Hinckley Leisure Centre
- (01455) 255678
- 07966 202085