Active at Work
If you don't know where or how to start exercising due to a lack of time, either due to work priorities or other commitments, you can still start somewhere! There is a host of active at work tips and resources to get you moving a little more.
Top Tips for Staying Active at Work:
- Park your car further from the office so that you walk for longer or leave your lunch in your car so that you have to walk to go and get it.
- Organise for you and your colleagues to go for a run or walk at lunchtime.
- Take the stairs rather than the escalator/lift. You increase your heart rate and burn more calories!
- Set mini-challenges with your colleagues, how many flights of stairs can you climb in 10 minutes, or how many steps can you walk at lunchtime?
- Join an activity challenge using the Activity Tracker over at Active Together to organise a bespoke challenge for you and your colleagues.
- Deskercise! There are lots of exercises that you can complete from the comfort of your own desk that can strengthen your muscles and improve balance, flexibility, and posture.
Desk exercises and stretches: https://www.bupa.co.uk/newsroom/ourviews/desk-stretches
Sitting exercises: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/sitting-exercises/
Sport England Active Employee Toolkit (a range of tips and tools employers can use to support the health and wellbeing of their employees through physical activity): https://www.sportengland.org/campaigns-and-our-work/active-employee-toolkit
For more info around wellbeing at work: https://www.active-together.org/wellbeing-at-work-employees